Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thing 17. ELM Productivity Tools

How cool that you can create a feed from a search. How uncool that it does not work when patrons access ELM through our region's website. We've been training our folks to go in through our website and will have to re-train them - how confusing.

I did not know there was a web-page creator in ELM. This would be a wonderful tool to show our Home School kids to help with their research projects. I'm hoping to use it to keep track of information publised about the Park Rapids Area Library.

Sharing artilces happens quite often between our library staff and our regional staff. Recently we sared around the story of the mom jailed for non-payment of library fines. You can check it out here:http://www.beloitdailynews.com/articles/2008/03/01/news/news02.txt

I use NetLibrary frequently...'though I'm not fond of reading books online. Cool that you can mark researched pages. SO, as long as you had proper citations, students could use this tool for projects and read books that we can not lay hands on easily. I'm feeling smarter already.

I'm definitely going to have the staff at our library do this Thing. ELM doesn not always feel user-friendly, but I know none of us realized these services were burried in here. Thank you for this Thing. Although I found it to be one of the most frustrating, I think it will be one of the most useful for our patrons.

Now I get to go help dig our car out of the foot of snow in the driveway. We tried to get to church this a.m. and got stuck in the middle of the road. We got the car pushed back off the road and back into our drive (it took an hour and a half - glad everyone else was wise enough to stay home!). But now we need to get it all the way back into the garage so the plow can come by and release us. The snow is quite beautiful, but can it PLEASE be Spring already?!?

No comments: